Luleå University of Technology is in strong growth with world-leading competence in several research areas. We shape the future through innovative education and ground-breaking research results, and based on the Arctic region, we create global social benefit. Our scientific and artistic research and education are conducted in close collaboration with international, national and regional companies, public actors and leading universities. Luleå University of... Visa mer
Luleå University of Technology is in strong growth with world-leading competence in several research areas. We shape the future through innovative education and ground-breaking research results, and based on the Arctic region, we create global social benefit. Our scientific and artistic research and education are conducted in close collaboration with international, national and regional companies, public actors and leading universities. Luleå University of Technology has a total turnover of SEK 1.9 billion per year. We currently have 1,840 employees and 17,670 students.
In the coming years, multi-billion investments will be made in large projects in Northern Sweden to create a fossil-free society both nationally and globally. Luleå University of Technology is involved in several of these cutting-edge research projects and in the societal transformation that they entail. We offer a broad range of courses and study programmes to match the skills in demand. We hope that you will help us to build the sustainable companies and societies of the future.The Robotics and Artificial Intelligence, RAI, subject at the department of Computer Science and Electrical and Space Engineering at Luleå University of Technology, is now looking for three PhD students to contribute to our growing activities. The RAI team is conducting fundamental research in all the aspects of robotics with a specific focus on aerial, space and bioinspired robotics.
The vision of RAI is aiming in closing the gap from theory to real life, while the team has a strong expertise in field robotics. Specific application areas of focus are robotics for mines, aerial inspection of aging infrastructure, multi-robotic search and rescue, multi sensorial fusion and multirobot coordination, including multirobot perception, decentralization and mission execution. The RAI team has a strong European participation in multiple R&D&I projects, while RAI is also participating in the DARPA SUB-T challenge with the CoSTAR Team lead by NASA/JPL.
As a PhD student you will perform research with substantial theoretical and experimental components that should be published in peer-reviewed major international journals and at major conferences. The position will include supervision of MSc and to assist in grant applications from research funding agencies/councils, the EU framework program or the industry. The position might also involve teaching assistance, seminars and presentations.
You will be working in the field of aerial robotics and their activities will be linked with National, European and worldwide R&D Projects.
The research topic is in the area of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. More specifically, the position will involve dense research activities in the area of designing, experimenting and theoretical control development in the following research areas:
• Learning-based control for heterogeneous mobile robots
• Reinforcement Learning-based control design for multi-agent systems incorporating safety constraints as part of learning. Envisioned control algorithm needs to incorporate the feature to fill the gap from sim to real implementation.
• Development of the decentralized control strategies for collaborative multi-agent planning and task allocation with for multiple heterogeneous robots enabling coordinated motion.
• Data-driven modelling and control of soft and hybrid robots.
• Collaborative spacecraft formation flying
• Vision enabled detection and estimation of pose, mass properties, etc
• Safe risk aware collaborative rendezvous and proximity motion planning
• Multi-agent Cooperative/collaborative task management (fractionated)
• Learning-based motion planning for satellite swarming.
• Intelligent task planning and decision-making for collaborative mission execution.
• Multi-modal perception and semantic segmentation of the urban environments.
• Semantic segmentation of the urban environments.
• Multiple abstraction layers mapping.
• Large scale collaborative SLAM.
• Scene graph generation.
• Distributed task planning and navigation for collaborative manipulation.
• Localization in cluttered indoor environments
• Motion planning for non-circular unsymmetric robots
• Distributed task planning for collaborative missions
• Quantum Machine Learning for robots
• Learning and reasoning-based navigation
• Distributed intelligence for swarms of robots
• Green deal
• Loops of circularity
• Green transition
For further information about a specific subject see general curricula for the Board of the faculty of science and technology
To be qualified for the position, you must have a MSc degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science or Agricultural engineering or related subject. Perfect scientific skills with excellence in real life experimentation, as well as very good communication skills are considered as a strong plus. You will represent the group in different occasions, both in Sweden and world-wide, hence very good knowledge in English is a must.
Employment as a PhD student is limited to 4 years, teaching and other department duties may be added with max 20%. Placement Luleå. Starting January 2024.
For more information about the position please contact:
George Nikolakopoulos, Chaired Professor, (+46 ) 920 491298, [email protected]
SACO-S Kjell Johansson, (+46) 920-491529, [email protected]
OFR-S Lars Frisk,( +46) 920-491792 [email protected]
In case of different interpretations of the English and Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
We prefer that you apply for this position by clicking on the apply button below. The application should include a CV with a full description of all the scientific merits of the candidate, motivation letter, list of 2 persons that could provide recommendation for the candidate and copies of verified diplomas from high school and universities. The diplomas must be written in Swedish or English. Your application must be written in English. Mark your application with the reference number below.
Final day to apply: 24 November 2023
Reference number: 4506-2023 Visa mindre